VMware vCenter Configuration Manager for Virtual Infrastructure Management [V5.X]
Registration for this class is closed..
Live Online (3 Days)
(GMT-05:00) Central Daylight Time (America/Chicago)
This hands-on training course builds your skills with VMware® vCenter Configuration Manager™. It provides you with the knowledge and skills to install and configure vCenter Configuration Manager, navigate the user interface, manage compliance, and perform administrative and configuration tasks against your virtual infrastructure.
|Objectives:||• Understand the position of vCenter Configuration Manager in the VMware® management solution set.
• Recognize the role of vCenter Configuration Manager in enterprise configuration and change and compliance management.
• Use the vCenter Configuration Manager console to configure vCenter Configuration Manager for management of VMware® vSphere® systems.
• Navigate the vCenter Configuration Manager console.
• Collect data from vSphere systems from the vCenter Configuration Manager console.
• Manage vSphere system compliance with vCenter Configuration Manager.
• Generate reports in vCenter Configuration Manager.
• Create custom reports in the vCenter Configuration Manager console.
• Perform vCenter Configuration Manager administration tasks to manage itssetup and collection of data, user access, jobs, and alerts.
• Discuss the installation options for vCenter Configuration Manager and perform a basic installation.
• Identify changes in the VMware® vCenter™ Operations Management Suite™ including new products and packaging in a high-level overview.
• Articulate the use case for the new integration with VMware® vCenter™ Operations Manager™ to maintain a compliant infrastructure.
• Learn about the improvements in change log and report management.
|Intended Audience:||• Virtual infrastructure administrator
• IT managers
|Prerequisites:||• Experience in performing basic administration tasks on VMware ESXi™ hosts, VMware® vCenter Server™, VMware vCloud Director®, VMware® vShield™, and virtual machines
• System administration experience in a Windows, Linux, or Solaris environment
|Outline:||1 Course Introduction
• Introductions and course logistics
• Course objectives
• vCenter Configuration Manager overview
2 Configuration, Compliance, and Change Management
• Provide a high-level overview of vCenter Configuration Managerand its position in the VMware management solution set
• Discuss some of the common challenges that customers face in IT configuration, compliance, and change management
• Describe the key features of vCenter Configuration Managerand how they benefit IT departments managing configuration, compliance, and change
3 Components and Processes
• Understand the system architecture
• Describe and discuss the CARMA concept
• Describe the database
• Describe the collector
• Describe the processes
4 Configuration for Virtual Infrastructure Systems
• Identify and use vCenter Configuration Manageruser interface components
• Describe and configure management agents
• Add and configure settings for vCenter Server, vCloud Director, and vShield systems
• License vSphere systems
• Collect data from vSphere systems
• Manage certificates
• Set up an alternative Managing Agent machine
5 Using the Upper Console
• View dashboards
• View and manage alerts
• Change management in the virtual infrastructure
• Use the Virtual Infrastructure node
6 VMware vSphere System Compliance Management
• Describe compliance analysis
• Create a rule group
• Create a rule group filter
• Create a rule group compliance condition
• Create and run a compliance template
7 Working with Reports
• List vSphere system–related reports available in vCenter Configuration Manager
• Generate custom reports with the Report wizard
• Manage reports
8 Basic Settings and Configuration
• Work with general settings
• Configure settings for integration with vCenter Operations Manager and the vCenter Configuration Manager plug-in in VMware vSphere® Client™
• Configure virtualization settings
9 Creating Collection Filters
• Describe collection filters
• Create collection filters
• Create collection filter sets and collection filter set groups
10 User and Role Management
• Discuss how vCenter Configuration Manager access is controlled by access rules and roles
• Create access rules and use them in a role
• Manage access rules and roles
• Add and manage vCenter Configuration Manager logins
11 Job Management
• Describe the function of Job Manager
• View a running job
• Add a job
• Schedule a job
• Edit a job
12 Alert Management
• Add an alert rule
• Discuss and enter an alert configuration
13 Using the Content Wizard
• Describe the Content wizard
• Import and use imported templates
14 Using the Import/Export Utility
• Describe the Import/Export utility
• Discuss where the Import/Export utility is used
15 Using the Debug Event Viewer
• Discuss how the Debug Event Viewer works
• Describe how to filter events
16 Installing VMware vCenter Configuration Manager
• Architecture (single-tier or multitier)
• Understanding and meeting preinstallation requirements
• Installing vCenter Operations Manager
• Configuring vCenter Configuration Manager to gather data from its environment
A VMware vCenter Operations Management Suite Update
• Discuss the VMware management suite solution and products
• List the key components and capabilities of the vCenter Operations Management Suite
• Describe the main features available in each of the vCenter Operations Management Suite products and editions
B VMware vCenter Configuration Manager v5.6 Changes
• Discuss changes in configuration of machine groups
• Identify new features in managing changes and compliance in the virtual infrastructure
• Learn about improvements in the internationalization of vCenter Configuration Manager
• Generate new reports for the virtual infrastructure
C Integration with Other Products
• Identify use cases for integration of additional vCenter Operations Management Suite products
• Discuss integration with vCenter Operations Manager for group management
• Learn about new dashboard badges in vCenter Operations Manager