VMware vCenter Operations Manager: Analyze and Predict [V5.X]
- Formats: Classroom, Live Online, vFlex-ILT, Onsite
- Length: 2 Days
This course for experienced users of VMware® vSphere® teaches skills in the use of VMware® vCenter™ Operations Manager™ as a forensic and predictive tool. The course is based on VMware ESXi™ 5.x, VMware® vCenter Server™ 5.x, and vCenter Operations Manager 5.x.
|Objectives:||• Understand major and minor badges and their underlying metrics.
• Use these badges to find the root causes of common operational issues in a vSphere environment.
• Perform capacity management and what-if analyses.
• Use the Operations tab, the Planning tab, the Alerts tab, the Analysis tab, and the Reports tab.
• Navigate the vCenter Operations Manager 5.0 user interface.
• Use heat maps and create a custom heat map.
• Use smart alerts to detect system issues.
• Articulate the use case for the new policy structure in vCenter Operations Manager and how it can be used to define configuration settings for objects in a vSphere environment.
• Work with groups to classify virtual objects in logical and business-related structures and how to apply them to policies.
• Define new use cases based on the optimized integration with VMware® vCenter™ Operations Management Suite™ products like VMware® vCenter Configuration Manager™, VMware® vFabric™ Hyperic®, VMware® vCenter™ Infrastructure Navigator™, and other adapters.
|Intended Audience:||Experienced system administrators and system integrators|
|Prerequisites:||• Hands-on experience administering vSphere 5 deployments
• Completion of VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V5] recommended
|Outline:||1 Course Introduction
• Introductions and course logistics
• Course objectives
2 Introduction to VMware vCenter Operations Management Suite
• Understand the role of operations management in the cloud era
• Understand the vCenter Operations Management Suite and its packaging
3 Architecture and Concepts
• Understand the data collection methodology of the vCenter Operations Manager architecture
• Learn how vCenter Operations Manager collects data
• Master the main components of the dashboard view
• Navigate the objects tree and understand the badge pane
4 Working with Dashboards and Badges
• Understand the functions of major and minor badges
• Use the Health major badge
• Use the Risk major badge
• Use the Efficiency major badge
• Use the Operations tab to navigate to details
5 Analyzing with Heat Maps
• Work with predefined and custom heat maps through the Analysis tab
6 Working with Smart Alerts
• Configure and use smart alerts
• Set up email notifications
7 Working with Capacity Planning and Reports
• Schedule, use, and export predefined capacity management reports
• Perform what-if analyses
8 Installing and Configuring VMware vCenter Operations Manager
• Understand and meet preinstallation requirements
• Install vCenter Operations Manager
• Configure vCenter Operations Manager to gather data from its environment
A VMware vCenter Operations Management Suite Update
• Discuss the VMware management suite solution and products
• List the key components and capabilities of vCenter Operations Management Suite
• Describe the main features available in each of the vCenter Operations Management Suite products and editions
B VMware vCenter Operations Manager v5.6 Changes
• Discuss configuration of policies and groups
• Identify basic use cases and benefits from using policies and groups
• Make changes to the vCenter Operations Manager 5.6 configurations
• Explain changes to badges, metrics, and reports in version 5.6 of vCenter Operations Manager
C Integration with Other VMware Products
• Identify use cases for the integration of additional vCenter Operations Management Suite products
• Discuss integration with vCenter Operations Manager for group management
• Learn about new dashboard badges in vCenter Operations Manager