Software-Defined Storage Fundamentals
Self-Paced (2 Hours)
This eLearning course on Software-Defined Storage provides an overview of the storage pillars of a Software-Defined Data Center and how VMware’s Software-Defined Storage (SDS) strategy helps to mitigate the storage challenges faced by the Hardware-Defined Data Centers.
The course will outline the technical characteristics of Virtual SAN 6.0 and vSphere Virtual Volumes. We will then compare the new Software-Defined Storage functionalities and operating model found in Virtual SAN 6.0 and vSphere Virtual Volumes with that of traditional storage.
|Objectives:||At the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Describe a Software-Defined Storage.
- Describe the architecture, technical characteristics, and benefits of Virtual SAN 6.0.
- Explain virtual volumes.
- Compare the functionalities and performance of Virtual SAN and virtual volumes with other traditional storage options.
|Prerequisites:||It is recommended that learners complete the following prerequisite course:
- VCA-DV or equivalent
- Virtaul SAN 5.5 Essentials/Fundamentals course
|Outline:||1. Course Introduction
- Course Overview
- Course Objectives
- Course Outline
2. Introduction to the Software-Defined Data Center
- Logical Design and Benefits of a Software-Defined Data Center
- Software-Defined Storage
- Storage Virtualization
- Virtual Data Plane
- Policy-Driven Control Plane
- vSphere Virtual Volumes
3. Introduction to VMware Virtual SAN 6.0
- Characteristics, Configuration Requirements, and Benefits of Virtual SAN 6.0
- Flash-Based Devices in Hybrid and All-Flash Architecture
- Virtual SAN 6.0 Storage Policies
- Change Management Using Policies
- Performance, Availability, Scalability, Self-Service, Monitoring, Troubleshooting, and Usability Capabilities of Virtual SAN 6.0
4. Virtual SAN 6.0 Architecture
- Virtual SAN Cluster
- Disk Groups
- On-Disk File System
- Object-Based Storage
- Policy-Based Component Distribution
- Virtual SAN Default Storage Policies
- Storage Policy-Based Management
- Virtual SAN Traffic Flow
- Fault Domain
- Rack Awareness
- Hardware-Based Checksum
5. Use Cases
- Business Critical Applications
- Virtual Desktop Infrastructure
- Disaster Recovery Site
- Staging Test and Development